Monday, December 03, 2012

Super Mario Kart (SNES)





How I would sum this game up:  Racing done right.

I remember buying this game and inviting my friend over to play it.  I told him it was Super Mario Kart and he said he didn't want to play.  I talked him into it and we played for hours.  Afterwards he asked "Why is it called Mario Kart?  There weren't any shopping carts."  I proceeded to explain that there are things called go karts, and that is what they were driving and referring to in the title

Typically, I hate racing games.  Mario Kart adds weapons and battle mode to give them a whole new layer and make the monotony into excitement.  While there was so many clones of this game, no one can touch the series in racing, partially because this game nailed the execution, mainly because you know and love every racer.  The only cast of 8 racers that could top this would be Saved by the Bell:  The Racing Years; Zach, Slater, Screech, Kelly, Jessie, Lisa, Belding, and Yoshi.  Sorry, I could only think of 7.

   

No comments: